Affordable Care Act: how to find a health plan

“I need to find health insurance. Currently, I am not covered. I’m working with a contractor and their insurance is expensive. Can you suggest what I need to do now?”

Working but Uninsured


Dear Working but Uninsured, 

If you are not offered an employer-based plan and you earn less than 400% of Federal Poverty ($45,960 for a household of one), then you can go to the health “exchange” to find a plan. These plans would also offer you government help to pay for them. Your state may be running its own health exchange; if so, you may have better luck getting through the enrollment process. You can get to your state’s exchange by visiting and clicking on your state.

If you earn more than 400% of Federal Poverty, then you will buy your plan “off exchange”. Your best bet is to find a health insurance agent to help you. You can ask friends for a referral to an agent or find one at the National Association of Health Underwriters Directory.

Linda Riddell

About Linda Riddell

A published author and health policy analyst with 25 years’ experience, Linda Riddell's goal is to alleviate the widespread ailment of not knowing what your health plan can do for you.